Allah (SWT) says in the Holy Qur’an:
“The Night of Decree is better than a thousand months. The angels and the Spirit descend therein by permission of their Lord for every matter. Peace it is until the emergence of dawn.” (97:3-5)
This Night can be found in any of the last 10 nights of Ramadhan, some say particularly in the odd nights. So what can we do to make the most of these nights as they approach us so soon. Let’s try and maximise on their potential and really make some intentions for the next year inshAllah. As parents, we often struggle to feel energised at this end of the this month, after fasting and juggling kids it’s hard to find your buzz to keep awake and make Dua all night long so here are some things we will trying to do differently this year to make the change.
- Grab that sleep when we can – We’re going to be doing whatever it takes to ensure we have the physical energy to stay up in worship, whether it’s napping in the day whilst the kids nap or grabbing an hour’s kip before iftar time.
- Eat Light – We will be keeping our iftar on these nights light and healthy so we feel energised rather than full and uncomfortable.
- Hydrate – We will keep our water bottles with us throughout the night so that we can stay refreshed and focused.
- Prepare In Advance – We will be trying to get all of our daily stuff done in advance or less often throughout the 10 day period. If that means laundry isn’t on top form or things aren’t in perfect order so be it! We’ll get to it after Eid inshAllah.
- Switch Off From The World – For these 10 nights can you eliminate any unnecessary distractions? Let’s get off social media, keep the TV off and generally just step away from anything that will take us away from worship and reflection.
- Focus On The Basics – Before we even think about worship let’s reflect inwards on ourselves and try to display exemplary character and akhlaq. Everytime the tension boils up and the hunger pangs, we will be reaching for our deep breaths and reciting Ya Sabaru (the patient one). We won’t sugar coat it, it’s not easy with kids but this is the cornerstone of change.
- Worship In The Way We Connect Best – Whether it’s recitation of Dua or simply talking to Allah (SWT), we want to connect with Him in whatever way works for us. Of course there are so many recommended Dua to recite and we will engage in as much as we can, but let’s not underestimate the power of truly being at one with our Lord in whichever way our heart opens and softens.
- Set Our Goals & Intentions For The Coming Year – Let’s use this night wisely and make those intentions. We will be sitting down and thinking about what we want to achieve in all walks of life for the coming year? Remembering to align it all for the pleasure of Allah (SWT) – think about your health and wellness goals, spirituality, career, charity work, children and the list goes on.
- Give Charity – Basic we know, but doesn’t make it any less worthy. There are so many ways we can give in this month whether it is through financial aid, food, our time and expertise. Let’s set a habit in these 10 nights that we can continue inshAllah.
- Muhasabah – Reflect on what we are doing well and what we need to work on. Remember Allah (SWT) is the most Merciful and it’s never too late to make that change, in fact the Nights of Qadr are the perfect time to start. This is one we will be really focusing on as we know it’s the most empowering way to really make an impact in our lives.
What will you be doing in these nights to maximise and gain the most out of them? Let us know in the comments below