So you’ve come home from the hospital, but now what? You’ve probably heard a dozen suggestions to buy this and that miracle product, but what exactly does the little one need?
Follow our list below to ensure you have all the newborn baby essentials on hand and ready for when you bring your newborn baby home.
Most of the items on our newborn baby essentials list are easy and quick to purchase, however a few will require research to ensure you choose the right one for your needs, like strollers, infant car seats, etc.
Do keep in mind that if you are choosing to customise an item, such as the pram’s colour, the product may take a few weeks to come in, so be sure to order everything well in advance of your due date.
We’ve noted items that are not essential but handy to have with two asterisk (**).
Newborn Baby Essentials
- Cot with mattress – it is recommended for the baby to sleep in the same room as you until 6 months. If you need to save space, a moses basket or crib that attaches to your bed may come in handy.
- Fitted sheets
- Waterproof mattress protector
- **Sleepyhead with cover
- **Baby monitor
- **White noise machine
- **Dua pillow
- ** Quran Cube – great to use when putting babies to sleep. The idea is that babies are calmed by what sounds they listened to in the womb so if you listened to the Quran when pregnant, this would be a great buy.
- **Humidifier with night light – great for when little baba is congested.
SHOP NEWBORN BED TIME ESSENTIALS *
1.Next to Me crib // 2. Fitted Sheets // 3. Waterproof Mattress Protector //
4. Sleeping Bag // 5. Sleepyhead // 6. Swaddles // 7. Blanket // 8. Baby Monitor
9. White Noise Machine // 10. Dua Pillow // 11. Quran Cube // 12. Humidifier
- Changing mat x 2 – one for the nursery and one for the living room area (or where baby will be most of the time)
- Changing mat covers
- Waterproof pads
- Nappy rash cream
- Water wipes – make the most of the Amazon “Subscribe and Save” service so you’ll get a box of 12 a month.
- Nappies – you have a choice from disposable, eco-friendly disposable, or reusable nappies. Just be sure to be fully stocked.
- Nappy bin with refills – another one that Amazon “Subscribe and Save” is useful for!
- Scented nappy bags
- Cotton pads
- Bowl to fill with water – essential for the first few weeks as your baby may be sensitive to wipes.
- Tissues – if you have a little boy, you’ll need a tissue at hand to avoid any golden showers!
NEWBORN CHANGING ESSENTIALS*
- **Bath tub
- Hooded towel
- Baby shampoo and soap
- Baby body cream
- Organic olive oil/coconut oil/baby oil for massaging
- **Soft natural sponge
- Vanity kit [nail clippers, soft baby brush, comb etc]
- Digital thermometer
- Calpol or Neurofen – ideal to have on hand after vaccinations
NEWBORN BATH TIME ESSENTIALS *
- Breastfeeding cover
- *Nursing pillow
- If you are not breastfeeding or will be mixed feeding, you will need the following:
- Formula – powdered, ready-to-use, or liquid
- Bottles – start with five 4oz bottles. You may require different teats depending on how the baby likes the flow.
- Steriliser – cold water, electric, or microwave steam steriliser
- Bottle brush
- Drying rack
- *Bottle warmer
- Breast pump – great for helping with milk production
- Milk storage bags
- Nipple cream
- Nursing pads
- Nursing bra
NEWBORN FEEDING ESSENTIALS *
- Bibs – if your baby vomits a little, bibs are a lifesaver so you’re not constantly changing their outfits
- Hats – ideal to keep their heads warm after aqiqo
- Snowsuit (weather dependent)
Out and About
- Stroller – be sure to choose one according to your needs (frequent flyers, multiple children, living in an area with wide pavements etc.)
- **Foot muff – to keep the little button snug
- Rain cover
- Buggy clip
- Nappy bag – you can also use a normal bag plus an insert to keep things organised
- **Stroller organiser – an organiser is great to keep all the essentials (keys, phones, cards etc.) in whilst out and about so you don’t have to keep digging into your nappy bag
- Car seat – must be rear-facing and group 0 or 0+
- Isofix – saves you from having to keep on strapping the seat in with the seatbelt.
- **Car mirror
- Baby carrier – make sure it is ergonomic so that baby’s hips are okay!
- Foldable changing mat
NEWBORN OUT AND ABOUT ESSENTIALS *
1.Stroller // 2.Footmuff // 3. Raincover // 4. Buggy clip // 5. Nappy bag //
6. Stroller organiser // 7. Carseat // 8. Baby carrier // 9. Car mirror
10. Isofix for car seat // 11. Folding changing mat
- **Swing – if baby suffers from reflux, this is ideal.
- **Sensory toys
SHOP NEWBORN PLAYTIME ESSENTIALS *
Best of luck mamas!